10 independent & unusual gift ideas
Flummoxed for Christmas shopping inspiration?
We’ve spent all of 2018 getting to know local retailers (and independently-run websites) and have come up with a short snappy list that’ll make it look like you’ve done the legwork.
Whether you’re shopping for a friend, filling a stocking for a loved one or planning the Secret Santa to beat all Secret Santa’s, we’ve got it covered. And we’ve negotiated some great discounts.
GIFTS FOR A LOVED ONE
1. We’ve fallen hard for the creations of jeweller Naomi Tracz. She’s based in Stoke Newington and sells unique jewellery from her online shop. They’re handmade, limited edition pieces made of silver, gold and semi-precious stones. There’s a beautiful simplicity to her designs. Local Buyers Club members save 15%. naomitracz.com
2. Get rummaging in your partner’s knicker drawer, check out their size and head down to The Pantry Underwear in Camden Passage, Islington.
These are undies to feel special in and the team there are expert fitters. Local Buyers Club members save 10% off their first online order or 20% off their second bra.
GIFTS FOR THE KIDS
3. Fill your online basket (and your children’s stockings) at Scout & Co. Launched by three East London mums, this gorgeous website sells design-led unisex children’s products. Items include little wooden cameras, gorgeous lunch tins and flasks and wonderful origami sets. It’s a definite step away from throw-away plastic and bold move to choose items to treasure. Local Buyers Club members save 10%. scoutandcokids.com
4. Hackney Pirates in Dalston has a brilliant selection of stocking fillers – from beautifully illustrated books to make-your-own robot kits and ships in bottles. Shop here and your money is helping to deliver reading schemes to children who are falling behind at school. hackneypirates.org
SECRET SANTA INSPIRATION
5. What could impress your workmates more than a Christmas tattoo sleeve or an Elfie-Selfie photo booth? Earlybird Cards in Stoke Newington Church Street has these and more. They also have sprout jokes toilet roll or lookalike luxury truffles! Local Buyers Club members save 10% www.earlybirddesigns.co.uk
6. Vinyl has made a massive comeback and we think it makes a great secret-Santa. Atomic Records in Camden Passage has thousands of records to choose from; from modern-day artists to rock legends of old. They also sell wonderful comics, old and new. Local Buyers Club members save 10% on orders over £10. www.atomic.london
GIFTS FOR GADGET LOVERS
7. Who knew there was such a thing as a spring onion cutter or a pickle press?! Kitchen Provisions in Church St has every gadget under the sun – whether you’re buying for someone who’s obsessed with Japan, for a cocktail connoisseur or a foodie – you’ll find something unusual here. www.kitchenprovisions.co.uk
8. It’s hard to miss the moving wooden artworks in Design Store’s Stoke Newington window. Powered by motors, they feature iconic London scenes and are utterly charming. These guys choose brilliant, quirky and stylish gifts. Save 10% with the Local Buyers Club.
GIFTS FOR FOODIES
9. Selling 100% pure, raw and natural local honey from hives in London, few things can be sweeter than the Local Honey Man. This charismatic company has mastered the art of honey-making, with a range of infusions including ginger, turmeric and cinnamon. Local Buyers Club members save 10% . localhoneyman.co.uk
10. Know someone who likes it hot? Cham Cham’s Hot Pepper Sauce is the best we’ve ever tried… and it tastes even better knowing it’s made by someone as lovely as Nima! She’s just launched a trio of miniatures (Extra Hot, Lemony and Original) – they’re made with scotch bonnet peppers. Local Buyers Club members save 20% on this link
More info at nimsdin.com
Want to support local independent business and save some money? Join the Local Buyers Club and save 10 - 30% for just £12 a year.
What is the Local Buyers Club?
We're on a mission to help you discover & support the best local independent businesses, and save some money at the same time. We also organise and support community initiatives.
JOIN NOW for just £12
We've negotiated discounts of up to 30% for our members at over 130 awesome restaurants, shops, bars and businesses throughout North and East London. We help promote them and raise awareness of the advantages of shopping locally.
Join the Local Buyers Club and, for just £12 per year, you'll be helping to support local business and you'll receive a discount card to use at any of the 130+ businesses listed on the site.
Some of the 130+ local businesses offering discounts to club members: