If you’re sick of browsing generic websites for uninspiring gifts but are struggling to find time to shop local, we have the answer.
We’ve been researching locally-run websites which offer brilliant, original gifts this Christmas. And there are lots of savings for Local Buyers Club members. Here are ten of our favourites.
1. The Curious Cockney. We love this online shop which specialises in decadent, bohemian and modern homeware and fashion which is mainly sourced from East End makers and artists. It’s run by Sam Parsley who was previously a fashion buyer for Topshop, ASOS and River Island. The website promotes small local businesses and independent makers. www.thecuriouscockney.com
2. CARV. These handmade leather bags are seriously special. These exquisite, modern bags are made by Becky Cocker at a studio in Hackney Wick, using age-old leather-working techniques. The bags have a really interesting character you don’t get with mass produced products and they last for a long time. Check out her stall at Broadway Market or order online: www.carvlondon.com
3. Local Buyers Club. Give the gift of local! This discount card, which launched in the summer, promotes East and North London’s best independent businesses and offers brilliant savings at more than 100 cafes, restaurants, pubs, shops and locally-run websites. It’s a brilliant stocking filler or Christmas gift and, if you buy before December 14th, £5 will go towards a new gift for a child living in poverty in Hackney. www.localbuyersclub.com
4. East End Prints. These guys know good art when they see it! Based under the arches near Broadway Market, East End Prints has over 2,000 prints by 70 artists to choose from – from beautiful pictures to brighten your home to witty images with great graphics. www.eastendprints.co.uk
5. House of Buckley. Did you know candles made of soy release less chemicals than paraffin candles and burn for longer? All the more reason to check out Caroline Buckley’s amazing handmade candles. She handpours from her Stoke Newington home and scents include Cuban Tobacco and Oak, Pink Champagne and Pomelo and Black and Raspberry and Peppercorn. www.houseofbuckley.com
6. Mountain & Molehill. Local artist Elizabeth Smallman works from her Stoke Newington home using beautiful Victorian illustrations to create characterful and fun prints and homeware items such as lampshades and paperweights. Each is hand-finished with 24-carot-gold detailing. www.mountainandmolehill.com
7. Scout & Co. This award-winning online family lifestyle boutique was founded by three Stoke Newington mums and sells cool clothing and accessories for children aged up to nine, stylish Scandi decor, creative toys, beautiful books and imaginative gifts for kids and grown-ups. www.scoutandcokids.com
8. Local Honey Man. Did you know bee pollen is a nutritious superfood? Curtis the Honey Man is an urban ‘beentreprenuer’. From his base in East London he produces 100% pure, raw and natural local honey, straight from the hive to the jar and his website also offers items such as beeswax candles, fresh bee pollen, beeswax candles and even honey bees. www.localhoneyman.co.uk
9. Bespoke Songs. How about having a song professionally written and recorded for a loved-one this Christmas? Crouch-End based acclaimed musician Lotte Mullan runs Bespoke Songs – her work has been described as “exquisite” by the Guardian. www.bespokesongs.com
10. Deviant and Dandy is the new brewery turning heads in East London. Run by the team behind the popular Bar Off Broadway, the company also sells online – products include a lager called Steve, a lawnmower ale called Strange Brew and a pale ale called Trust. www.deviantanddandy.com
Basil Fansa, a founder of the Local Buyers Club, said: “Many of these businesses also have a physical presence locally, whether through market stalls or by supplying local traders. They’re all a big part of the communities they serve, providing employment and supporting initiatives which boost local life.”
Members of the Local Buyers Club are issued with discount codes when they join, which offer ongoing savings of 10% or more at each of these online shops.
What is the Local Buyers Club?
We're on a mission to help you discover and support the best local and independent businesses.
We've negotiated discounts for our members at dozens of fantastic restaurants, shops, bars and businesses throughout North and East London. We help promote them and raise awareness of the advantages of shopping locally. We also organise and support community initiatives.
Join Local Buyers Club and, for just £12 per year, you'll be helping to support local business and you'll receive a discount card to use at any of the 100+ businesses listed on the site.
Find out how it works and join the club