10 BENEFITS OF SUPPORTING INDEPENDENT BUSINESS
1. You can help build communities. Popping out to your local butcher, florist, restaurant or pub builds familiarity. It’s the way friendships are made – the old-fashioned way, through eye-contact, a friendly ‘hello’ and a little small talk. And independent businesses often organise local events which create community ties.
2. For every £1 spent with a small or medium-sized business, an estimated 63p stays in the local economy, compared to 40p with a larger business.
3. Experiences are richer and more colourful when you choose local and independent over large-chain and homogeneous.
4. Most new jobs are provided by local businesses – according to the Federation of Small Businesses, small and medium sized business employ around 60% of the UK’s private sector workforce.
5. Independent business often pay their staff better and pay their fair share of taxes, compared to some tax-dodging multinationals.
6. It’s often better for the environment. Local businesses make more local purchases, which require less transportation and they’re usually in town centres rather than contributing to urban sprawl, habitat loss and pollution.
7. Home-owners who live near high streets with thriving independent businesses benefit from a boost in property value.
8. Customer service is often better. Small business owners really care about their local customers.
9. Independent retailers often stock locally-made items which aren’t available elsewhere, so you can choose things which are truly unique.
10. Through initiatives like The Local Buyers Club, independent retailers can use their discretion to reward local and loyal custom and that means savings for you. The Local Buyers Club helps promote local and independent businesses and encourages people to spend a little extra locally if possible.
Support and save at local and independent businesses near you. Join the Local Buyers Club here.
What is the Local Buyers Club?
We're on a mission to help you discover & support the best local & independent businesses. We also organise and support community initiatives.
JOIN NOW for just £12
We've negotiated discounts of up to 30% for our members at over 120 awesome restaurants, shops, bars and businesses throughout North and East London. We help promote them and raise awareness of the advantages of shopping locally.
Join the Local Buyers Club and, for just £12 per year, you'll be helping to support local business and you'll receive a discount card to use at any of the 120+ businesses listed on the site.
Some of the 120+ local businesses offering discounts to club members: